Nstreme RouterOS is an operating system based on Linux 2.6 kernel used in the ardware of Microtik RouterBOARD which is the hardware division of the Mikrotik brand. It is characterized by its own OS easy setup. These devices have the advantage of a cost / benefit ratio very high.
Now, what makes it interesting to a Nstreme RouterOS is that it can be installed on a computer, turning it into a router with all the necessary features: firewall, routing, wireless access point, bandwidth management, VPN server and more.
Nstreme RouterOS supports various configuration methods such as:
- Local access via keyboard and monitor
- serial console with a terminal
- Via Telnet and SSH access via a network
- A graphical interface called WinBox
- An API for developing own applications for configuration
- Should not have local access and there is a problem with the IP addresses Nstreme RouterOS supports a MAC based connection using the Mac-Telnet customized tools and tools Winbox
From its RouterOS v4 version adds the Lua scripting language, which expands the possibilities to schedule and automate the system.
We will now see all the features that RouterOS gives us, whether we use it in a RouterBoard or a PC.
The integrated firewall implements packet filtering and provides security features that are used to manage data flow to and from the router. Along with NAT prevents unauthorized access to a directly connected network access. You can filter by IP addresses, one-eyed TCP / UDP port range, protocols, and other parameters. It also supports static and dynamic list of addresses and can intercept packets with a defined pattern. It also has support for IPv6.
Nstreme RouterOS supports static routes and dynamic routes several protocols.
- IPv4 supports RIP v1 and v2, OSPF v2, BGP v4
- RIPng supports IPv6, v3 and BGP OSPFV
It also supports VRF, policies based on routes, routes based on interface and ECMP. Firewall can be used to mark packets arriving from a particular connection and that they go by a different provider.
MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching), can be used to replace the outgoing IP packet forwarding decision is no longer performed based on the IP header or routing table, but on labels attached to the package. This approach accelerates packet forwarding destination because the search is simpler than finding routing. Efficiency in the forwarding process is the biggest benefit of MPLS.
Some of the features of MPLS supported are:
- Static Linking tags for IPv4
- Label distribution protocol for IPv4
- RSVP tunnels
- autodiscovery and signaling based on MP-BGP VPLS
- MPLS IP VPN based on MP-BGP
RouterOS supports various methods of VPN connection to establish a secure connection over open networks or the Internet. These methods are:
- Point to point tunnels (OpenVPN, PPTP, PPPoE, L2TP)
- Advanced Features PPP (MLPPP, BCP)
- Simple tunnels (IPIP, EoIP)
- Support 6 to 4 tunnels (IPv6 over IPv4)
- VPN based on MPLS
It allows us to interconnect securely interconnect multiple networks allowing various locations, using the resources of the organization as we mobilize and increase the security of our wireless connections.
The following are some of the supported wireless technologies:
- Access point and wireless client IEEE802.11a / b / g / n
- Nstreme proprietary protocols and Nstreme2
- Customer survey
- RTS / CTS
- Wireless Distribution System
- Virtual access point
- WEP, WPA, WPA2
- Access control list
- MME wireless routing protocol
- Among others
The Nstreme RouterOS protocols allow you to extend the range and speed of wireless routers Mikrotik when used at each end. also it supports dual Nstreme that allows two antennas at each end, one for receiving and one for sending.
The gateway Mikrotik Hotspot creates a public access network for wired and wireless users. The user will be presented with a login screen when accessing the web browser. Once you provide valid credentials will be given Internet access. No software installation is required, the hotspot will direct any connection to the login form. We can also manage user connections, bandwidth usage, connection time and more.
Hotspot supports standard RADIUS authentication servers or administrator allows users integrated centralized management of all users on our network.
RouterOS has a proxy server for caching of resources on the web, increasing the speed of delivering customer access files in cache to the internal network speed. RouterOS provides the following features of a proxy server:
- Regular HTTP Proxy
- transparent proxy
- Access list by source, destination, URL and requested method
- Storage External Hard cache
- SOCKS proxy support
- Cache access list to specify the resource must be accessed directly and via which another server
Finally RouterOS provides us with a number of tools to manage and optimize our network tasks. Some of these are:
- Bandwidth Test
- Tools for sending email and SMS
- Table of active connections
- TFTP server
- NTP server
RouterOS adds several features to the same routers Mikrotik as any PC that could have out there unused and with this operating system you can implement any function. And speaking directly from routerboards Mikrotik, these have proven to be efficient and robust in a critical production environment.